Four great matcha ice cream recipes. Because one size does not fit all.
Try our matcha ice cream recipes; four different ways.
Using matcha in recipes doesn’t just boost the nutrient profile of a dish. As an ingredient in its own right it lends an air of sophistication and, despite being popular for a few years now, comes with supercool cutting edge credentials.
We recommend using premium grade matcha powder for all culinary uses.
What does matcha ice cream taste like?
Clearly the flavour depends on your ingredients, but the basic flavour profile is sweet and grassy. Not too creamy and not too sweet, good matcha ice cream feels smooth in the mouth and has a slightly bitter finish.With its herbal notes and refreshing finish it is the perfect end to a meal, or a cooling treat on a hot day.
How to make matcha ice cream
There are many ways to make matcha ice cream, from classic style in an ice cream machine to vegan cheats with frozen banana. Our matcha ice cream recipes make it easy, whether you are short on time or just don’t do dairy.
Classic matcha ice cream recipe
Classic ice cream uses eggs and involves using an ice cream machine. You can make it without a machine by taking it out of the freezer and stirring it every hour to break up the ice crystals. A tablespoon of liquid glucose in the custard mix helps to create a softer ice cream too.
1 1/4 cups double cream
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp matcha powder
- Whisk together eggs and sugar until thick and pale.
- Beat in the matcha powder.
- Heat the milk and cream together in a saucepan over a medium heat, until not quite boiling.
- Whisk the warm mixture into the matcha egg mix.
- Return to the pan and stir continuously over a low heat until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. About 10 minutes.
- Churn according to your machine directions or freeze as above.
No-churn matcha ice cream
This recipe has only 3 ingredients, and does not contain eggs, yet is as close as it gets to the real deal.
1.5 cups double cream
2/3 cup condensed milk
2 tbsp matcha powder
- Sprinkle the matcha powder over the double cream.
- Whisk until it forms soft peaks.
- Carefully fold in the condensed milk.
- Pour into a container and freeze until set.
Vegan matcha ice cream
There are numerous ways to make vegan nice cream but the quickest is to use frozen banana. It won’t have the same taste as its dairy counterpart, but as frozen treats go it is still pretty cool. You can use any non-dairy milk, or for a thicker sweeter ice cream use coconut cream. It will be coconutty, but the flavours go quite well with the acidic grassy tones of matcha. We use a relatively large amount of matcha powder to offset the bolder flavours of the other ingredients.
3 bananas, frozen in chunks
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tbsp matcha powder
- Let the banana defrost slightly so it is easier to blend.
- Blitz the ingredients together in a food processor or high powered blender.
- Serve immediately.
Really easy matcha ice cream
You can make a really simple matcha ice cream with vanilla ice cream. Use 1 tsp of matcha powder for each 120g serving of ice cream. Allow the vanilla ice cream to soften and beat in the matcha powder. Either refreeze until required, or eat immediately soft serve style.